Thursday, October 7, 2010

Northern Road Trips 2010

aroostook county in autumn photo by Michael Alden










The autumn colors are currently at their peak in northern Maine, New Hamshire and Vermont. Actually, it's sliding towards "past peak" in the northernmost areas of these states, and the peak is moving towards the central portions.

I'm "working" northern Maine and northern New Hampshire this week, driving along some of my favorite autumn roads while veering off course on a whim if I think there might be something to see. Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't. But there's only one way to find out for certain, and it helps to have a willingness to take the road less traveled.

Speaking of Robert Frost, I'm off to northern New Hampshire this weekend. But not before I revisit Aroostook County, Baxter State Park and the Moosehead Lake region in Maine.

The trees are beautiful this year. Leaf drop continues to remain moderate in Maine despite Tropical Storm Nicole several days ago and frosts, winds and rain since that time. I find myself using a polarizer filter more often than usual these days.

More to come.

leaf line break graphic

No comments: