Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Leafpile #6: October 21st, 2009























Taking in the last colors of the season at Fields Pond in Maine (10/21/09)

Maine - Only southern Maine is said to be in peak form at the moment. For the rest of the state, the show's over. But only if you think of autumn in terms of glorious fall colors! There are many other things begging to be photographed at this time of the year; foliage is merely one of them.
Read more

New Hampshire - "Most lawns are covered in a deep blanket of leaves, and many roadside trees are nearly bare. The leftover colors are mainly burnt yellows and faded oranges."
Read more

Vermont - Most of the state is well past peak, although there are pockets of color remaining here and there. Sounds familiar!
Read more

Raking it all in: The colors seem to leave almost as quickly as they arrive. I mentioned last week that I planned to stick around coastal Maine. I'm still doing that for the most part, and I'll visit southern Maine over the next few days.

The blueberry barrens were a total bust for me this year. Normally they are a vibrant crimson; this year they seemed more like a pale rust. I may have missed some areas, I don't know. But my usual blueberry barren "haunts" were a disappointment this season.

On top of that, many farmers have already cleared whatever bushes were there in preparation for winter, so things look...well...barren. I'll just have to try again next year.

No comments: